Did you know that studies from the Centers for Disease Control reveal half of adults older than 35 suffer from some form of periodontal disease? What causes gum disease? By understanding the factors behind the disease’s onset, you can take steps to help protect your smile.
Try Our Quiz on Gum Disease
- True or False: Poor oral hygiene can lead to a greater risk.
- True or False: Sore and bleeding gums could be a warning sign.
- True or False: Without treatment, periodontal issue could lead to tooth loss
- True. When we don’t practice good oral hygiene, plaque buildup can accumulate on the teeth, irritating the gum tissue and increasing the risk of gum disease. In order to combat this, you need to make sure you’re brushing your teeth twice each day and flossing every night before you go to bed. You should also avoid smoking or tobacco use, as this could lead to the onset of periodontitis, the advanced stage of the disease.
- True. Symptoms that may indicate the need for treatment include sore gums that appear more red than usual, as well a bleeding when you brush and floss. Don’t ignore these possible warning signs, instead schedule an appointment to see your dentist as soon as possible.
- True. Periodontitis is the advanced stage of the disease, which can develop when no steps are taken to treat periodontal issues. Periodontitis can actually cause the connective tissues between the teeth and gums to dissolve, causing the teeth to become loose and eventually, lost. In fact, gum disease is the main cause of adult tooth loss. However, by taking better care of your smile and seeking treatment, you can preserve your smile. If you have any questions or concerns about treating your gums, then contact our office today. We want to help you enjoy a healthier smile!
Do You Have Questions About Gum Disease?
We can help identify and treat/manage your periodontal issues, so give us a call today! You can schedule a preventive checkup and cleaning with Dr. Steven Huffstutler in Ft. Worth, TX, today by calling 817-918-3038.