Will I Talk Funny With Invisalign Clear Aligners?

If you are a teen or adult and are considering braces, you may be wondering about Invisalign® clear aligners. While any type of dental appliance has the potential to affect the way you speak depending upon where it is placed, the material it is fabricated with, and the thickness of the appliance, Invisalign® aligners are very thin. For this reason, most people can wear clear aligners without it affecting their speech, or if so, in very minor ways.

Invisalign® Research

While it wouldn’t be unusual to experience some awkwardness when talking the first time you wear your aligners, chances are any difficulty speaking or any lisps due to the aligners will resolve itself in a matter of days, or even hours.

Research studies have been conducted regarding how Invisalign® clear aligners affect the speech of those who wear them. It has been found that 93 percent of Invisalign® patients reported no speech impediments during the first 3 to 6 months of their treatment. While that leaves 7 percent that did, of that 7 percent nearly half reported that the difficulty did not last.

The Benefits of Invisalign® Clear Aligners

There are many benefits associated with Invisalign® aligners including comfort and convenience. Clear aligners are more comfortable than traditional braces. They are fabricated from smooth, clear plastic, so not only are they difficult to see, they will not cause gum or mouth irritation like metal braces do. Invisalign® aligners also work faster than metal braces, and they are removable. Traditional braces require brushing around metal brackets and arch wires. Invisalign® aligners can be removed to eat, brush, floss, and even to take pictures.

If You’re Considering Invisalign®

If you’re considering Invisalign® clear aligners, schedule an appointment with Dr. Huffstutler, your Fort Worth, TX, dentist today by calling 817-918-3038. Together you can discuss any questions you have regarding Invisalign® and decide if Invisalign® clear aligners are the right treatment for you.