Conservative Treatments For Cavities

inlay1Did you know that 1 percent of people in the entire world are immune to cavities? Are you one of that percentage? If so, lucky you! The other 99 percent of the population has to suffer through cavities and dental fillings. Today a dental filling isn’t the only treatment available for tooth decay or other minor damage. Inlays and onlays are another conservative treatment for cavities. Take our true or false quiz below to find out how much you know about inlays and onlays.

True or False?

  1. True or False: Inlays and onlays are another way besides a dental filling to restore a decayed or damaged tooth.
  2. True or False: Inlays and onlays are mostly used only for your back teeth.
  3. True or False: There are direct and indirect inlays and onlays.
  4. True or False: An inlay is smaller than an onlay.

Answers:

  1. True: Inlays and onlays are a dental treatment that falls between a filling and a crown. They can cover more area than a filling but less than a dental crown.
  2. True: This type of treatment modality is used for molars when the damaged or decayed area is not extensive enough for a crown but too big for a filling.
  3. True: Indirect inlays/onlays are fabricated in a dental lab. However, direct inlays/onlays are created in the dentist’s office and placed the same day.
  4. True: An inlay is placed within the cusps of the molar in the center of the tooth. An onlay is bigger and replaces the center of the tooth and one or more cusps.

ABOUT YOUR NORTH RICHLAND HILLS DENTIST:

With over 25 years of professional experience, Dr. Steven M. Huffstutler and his caring team proudly provide exceptional preventive, cosmetic, and restorative dental treatment to patients and their families across Dallas/Ft. Worth, including North Richland Hills, Denton, the Mid-cities, Southlake, and all surrounding communities. We also have extensive experience helping patients find relief from painful TMJ disorders (various forms of jaw dysfunction). To schedule an appointment with Dr. Huffstutler, contact our office today by calling 817-577-1444.