As 2014 comes to a close and we look forward to the excitement of a brand new year, it is once again time to set our New Year’s resolutions. Health is always a top priority when it comes to January goals. Weight loss and increased exercise are both important and popular resolutions. However, far too often, dental health gets overlooked. This year, set at least one resolution to protect and enhance your beautiful smile. Whether your goal is to improve your dental hygiene or undergo a long put-off dental procedure, make 2015 the best year yet for your dental wellness!
Improve Your Dental Care
While weight loss and other major goals require dramatic lifestyle changes, improved dental care often only requires a few minor adjustments to your daily routine. Consider the following resolutions to enjoy a more beautiful smile.
- Brush at least twice a day, especially after meals and before bed.
- Floss at least once a day. According to a 2008 survey by Crest® and the American Dental Association®, only 49% of all Americans floss daily. 10% never do so.
- Use mouthwash daily. According to the same survey, 52% of Americans also do not use antibacterial rinses.
- Drink more water to rise food, acid, and bacteria from your mouth (If your New Year’s resolution is to lose weight, water will help in this area, too.)
- Cut back on coffee, tea, red wine, berries, and other dark-colored foods and drinks. These substances can cause significant dental discoloration.
- Reduce your intake of soda, white wine, citrus, and other acidic substances. These foods and beverages can erode your dental enamel, increasing your risk for discoloration and decay.
Treat Yourself to a Beautiful Smile
In addition to improving your home care, resolve to receive the dental treatment you need. You might also book an appointment for an elective procedure which will enhance the look of your smile.
- Schedule your routine dental visits. Biannual appointments are vital in the fight against tooth decay and gum disease.
- Whiten your smile. Our take-home whitening trays and our advanced KöR® Deep BleachingTM are effective and extremely convenient. Resolving to lighten your smile could be the easiest goal you set in 2015.
- Transform your smile. If you are looking for an even more dramatic change, make this the year you treat yourself to porcelain veneers. With custom-crafted veneers, you will be celebrating every holiday with a beautiful smile.
ABOUT YOUR NORTH RICHLAND HILLS FAMILY DENTIST:
With over 25 years of professional experience, Dr. Steven M. Huffstutler and his caring team proudly provide exceptional preventive, cosmetic, and restorative dental treatment to patients and their families across Dallas/Ft. Worth, including North Richland Hills, Denton, the Mid-cities, Southlake, and all surrounding communities. We also have extensive experience helping patients find relief from painful TMJ disorders (various forms of jaw dysfunction). To schedule an appointment with Dr. Huffstutler, contact our office today by calling 817-577-1444.